Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
Sign in to follow this  
Dragon King

Possible new time travel sequence

Hey guys. Another edit is ready. Pay close attention to the speedometer at the beginning. BIG thanks to Zero for helping me with the speedometer.

th_Movie_0002-7.jpg

Fixed the link

Erm, the new one looks better than the one before. But, the sequence is now too short xD

If you could just make it long enough to make the wormhole open completely then it'll look cool.

EDIT: Now that I think about it.. If you could make the wormhole open time wise instead of speed-wise (like it was originally) then just make the wormhole open in about 3 seconds after the coils start glowing. I think this'll make it better. If you can do that, I'd like to see it :D

Edited by Fishy-Fish

Hey you use my idea kkk, but is very good! but (again) is very short...

The you leasted version is very better...

Edited by Marty_Mcfly

Well here is the final. And Zero if your reading this I need help getting the speedometer to work when in RC mode

th_Movie-12.jpg

On first look is very better...

And Zero if your reading this I need help getting the speedometer to work when in RC mode

Take the code from my tut. page as I told you some days ago...

Well here is the final.

Glad this discussion's finally over.

@the others: This will probably never be in the mod. What he did in the last version is restricting the speedometer to not show any speeds higher than 88mph, what is - how I see it - a totally dumb idea (this is what you call movie accuracy?).

i had an idea:

that you can have both in the game, like cutscene and instant mode, but with both time travel sequences( the old one and the new one) and that you can choose in-game which one do you want

Well, Zero and I planned on making it so the speedometer only went up as far as 88 when these conditions are met:

The time circuits are on

and the plutonium chamber/Mr fusion was full.

Other than that it goes shows the regular way. So technically it is still WIP.

Also Mini-me you never see the speedometer go higher than 88 do you? So in a way it is movie accurate.

Well, DK; sorry, but no. This modification to the sequence removes the satisfaction of getting to 88 MPH. I really prefer what we have now with stock 0.2E. I share the opinion with the most part of the team, saying the timings on the effects are different throughout the Trilogy; so, this could be accurate to the timing on one scene, but inaccurate to everything else.

Also, restraining the speed to 88 (for time travel)?. Come on, this is a sportscar, imagine holding 88 until you time travel. Again, it takes the satisfaction away. It's a "O.K.; we got to 88, now we wait... *Time travel*... Cool." feeling, compared to "O.K.; 80, 81, 82... Come on, baby!... 87!!... 88!!! *Time Travel* What did I tell you?!, 88 MPH!!!" feeling (I know, too descriptive :P). Anyway, think about the scene where you almost crash against the screen, what would you do?, hold the speed until you hit the wall or the sand slows you down?.

So, I don't like this change; I appreciate the effort, but, in my opinion, the coding and timings are perfect the way they are now.

P.S.: Have you tried a free-fall time travel?. With what we have now, we get to 88 and travel instantaneously. I don't think your setup would work with this, specially with the lightning travel.

I'm going to put this to vote of course the Mod Team has the final say but just to see where everyone stands. Off to make another topic or add a poll to this one

Also Mini-me you never see the speedometer go higher than 88 do you? So in a way it is movie accurate.

Do you mean in the movie? If you now start discussing this way, why do we keep the DMC-13 then? Bad argument, DK :D.

The real speedometer is going in the 90's while the wormhole is forming. The digital one is just for the audience, or it wouldn't cap at 88, if it was in real life. Either way, this is just a whole mess.

This will probably never be in the mod. What he did in the last version is restricting the speedometer to not show any speeds higher than 88mph, what is - how I see it - a totally dumb idea (this is what you call movie accuracy?)

Yup. I would say it is a dumb idea for other vehicles, but not for the time machine. The label in the speedometer does say "Set to 88" and, if I'm right, Doc made the digital speedometer to show only up to the speed of 88 mph because the De Lorean, in all cases, stop in that speed even how fast it is picking up speed, and it does this without using the brakes. We're not sure what the analog speedometer shows because the digital one was only shown during the time travel scenes. If you still don't believe it, check the first time travel experiment itself where this is more noticeable: note that the De Lorean was going hell fast (faster than when it was driven manually) when it was trying to pick up speed, then when it reached 88 it suddenly stopped to that speed. Doc can't possible use breaks, because the De Lorean is heading towards them and he had to keep it accelerating 'till it time travels.

I would say the speedometer of the De Lorean is absolutely movie accurate, but other than that the rest isn't. And I don't believe the discussion concerning the speedometer end here.

Which is why I decided that if the time circuits were on and the plutnoium chamber/Mr. Fusion was full, then the speedometer was restricted

I say don't change it.

I mean consider BTTF1...the mall sequence the Del does stay at 88 a bit before it time travels, and its the same for when Marty escapes the Lybians. But remember that was its first time travel ever and the first model of the time machine. Then in BTTF2 we see time travel instantly at 88, and I think we can chalk that up to Doc making modifications and improvements on the Del. Then in BTTF3 the Del again waits at 88 a bit before it travels, but that's because of the home-made time travel control chip.

So all in all I think we should keep the time travel mechanics of the BTTF2 Del, and the BTTF3 Del already seems to have a slight pause before it time travels. The only that isn't accurate is the BTTF1 Del...so if you can change JUST that one I'd say that's fine, but if you want to change it for all of them I'd say no.

It would be cool to have different mechanics for each TM, but i'm guessing they are all using the same time travel code, and making a different one for each would probably use up alot of coding space.

What i really like about the first bottom sequence is the time it takes to time travel. It might be too slow, can't say for sure without trying it out myself, but in the official version i find it very easy to reach 88 in a few seconds (6~ seconds of straight road), it takes away much of the challenge during chases, especially the libians with their blind driver :P

To tell 'ya the truth Dragon, I liked the very first one you did/posted. IMO, looked just like the film :)

Sign in to follow this