:
Destination Time
:
Present Time
:
Last Time Departed
10httrquitr

After 0.2F, will this be it?

Now, I'm not in any way bashing the team for the long time that was taken between 0.2e and 0.2f, my question is, will 0.2F be 0.2Final? If not, what is going to happen after 0.2F? Will development continue? Will you all move to another more updated GTA with a better game engine? If so, which one? What are the plans?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I really haven't been active on here since 2010, so I've missed a lot. Glad to see we finally got a release date, thank you to the team for all the years and contributions you've made to this project if it is truley the end. A personal thanks to Mike for making this possible.

Hi, you are largely correct for the most part.  

0.2f will be the last release from us - and to clarify the F does not mean final, it will be a playable beta as per previous releases of the mod.  

It will include the things you have seen in the previous trailers, i.e. a completed version of the 1955 town square (clocktowers will change between 1885, 1955, 1985, and 2015, but the surrounding buildings will remain the same).  There also some additional areas which have been modelled by Thyncho88, as well as a player model or two which will also be included.

The Rogers locomotive from part III will be included, complete with animations.  Likewise Doc's truck will also have an animated tailgate.  There is also the keypad entry for the time circuits.  

There are some WIP animations for the 2015 taxi which may or may not make it into the release.

And of course, there will be Carlos' fanastic new DeLorean models.

I'm sure I am missing things but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

What happens after the release?  That is a very good question, and one I am not sure has an answer at the moment.  

Certainly I think we all agree that continuing to mod Vice City does not make sense.  This is a game which was released over 12 years ago, and is becoming increasingly difficult to make function (even without mod's) in newer versions of Windows.

Moving to San Andreas is a possiblity, however even SA is now 10 years old.

What problably makes the most sense (in my opinion), is to jump to GTA 4, I would imagine most folks will now have hardware which can handle GTA 4.

I am hopeful to have a little surprise lined up for October 21st - will need to see if it can fall into place within the timescale we are working on.

Certainly for any future releases I am of the opinion that rather than a full release, new features and models should be made available to users as they are completed, and a small update file released to incorporate those new features/models into your existing game.  This would help keep folks interested in the mod for one thing.  To be quite honest I am somewhat ashamed that it has taken us 7 years to release 0.2f.

Also you may have seen from the facebook page that I am stepping down.  That may have been somewhat overstated.  My role here, other than hosting the website, was making the trailers, and writing the install script (in conjunction with Mini-Me).  I will still be around to do the latter if required - but what little spare time I do have these days is spent within the DeLorean community (for those who don't know, I bought a DeLorean 5 years ago).  So while life has moved on for me, I do of course still look back on this mod with fond memories, the team are a great bunch of people to work with, and we could not ask for a better, more supportive fan base.

That is why I am hopeful that the mod will continue in some form - now it maybe that a new generation of modders take over where we leave things.  We will make all endeavours to make the code base open source to allow folks to continue our work, all we would ask is that any future releases make sure to credit the appropriate folks.

I'll close things here as I don't want to send people to sleep, but am happy to answer any further questions.

Thanks, Mike

• Like 1

I'm still here :D I keep checking up on any progress...

anywho, if it's a 'playable beta' and the last thing to be released on vice city then how is it a beta? Sorry, I'm just a little confused on how a beta is the last version.

Looking forward to the release though :D

It is still considered a beta because it's unfinished.  It is being released as is, with no further work planned to complete it.

The whole 'total conversion' concept was always a very grand plan.  Unfortunately without a dedicated team of people working full time on the mod, it was something which in reality was never going to happen.

Ah, okay.

@Mike

I don't think I have directly spoke to you before, Mike, here in the forums, but with your reply, hearing the status of the mod, etc. is surprising, awesome, and sadly expected, all at the same time.
It has been a while since I remember you guys teased the new DeLorean models, I believe it was 3 or 4 years ago (Then, I was in 8 or 9th grade. Now I have started college. Sheeet.)
I have to say, to you and the team, thank you guys so much for the mod, even if though it was never complete, I had a blast playing it in the past.
I can definitely see myself engrossing my time with 0.2f, perhaps I'll mod it for myself (how do I bananas.?, huehue) now that I am older?

I must say that the "unfinished" state of your mod is far more acceptable than what garbage actual developers (for example, 343 Industries) put out (Halo: MCC) and haven't "fixed" months/1-year post launch. Anyways, I'm very grateful that you and the team will release 0.2f as is.

Thanks again, Mike and the BTTF: Hill Valley team.

In preparation for my work (building the installer), I reinstalled Vice City yesterday evening.  It must have been years since I last played the mod - even firing up 0.2e, I actually found it fun to play.

I guess spending some time away from it has given me a little renewed enthusiasm for it.  That and viewing it on a 40" display.

Now to build the installer for 0.2f!

as in the default back to the future skins that was in 2e the not very good ones no offence.

the marty, doc and biff ones..

Edited by RazorX

It's a bit of an anticlimax since we've waited so long, but glad it is finally being released, but with 0.2f soon being released it may inspire people to add to it.

It is what it is, unfortunately life moves on - we simply never had the man power to do what we initially set out to do.

On another note, are you anywhere near Kings Lynn?

Just throwing this out there, will the 0.2f SCM be fully editable (since there is some C++ source in it)? I've had some problems in the past with Sanny Builder and the "ignore unknown opcode" flag.

Also, interesting mod Bullseye.

Edited by BTTFModMachine

It is what it is, unfortunately life moves on - we simply never had the man power to do what we initially set out to do.

On another note, are you anywhere near Kings Lynn?

Yes... just over an hours drive, why you ask :)

That GTA V mod for BTTF would be cool if it had all the right sounds and animations etc, but GTA V was made to not be modded, took a while for modders to get in the code. So I'm not expecting anything to come from it for a while. Once good mods start coming I'll be getting it though! I have it on Xbone atm so I'm not missing out on anything yet.

Good Start though, sorta like GTA IV's first BTTF mod.

Edited by Doctor200004

That GTA V mod for BTTF would be cool if it had all the right sounds and animations etc, but GTA V was made to not be modded, took a while for modders to get in the code. So I'm not expecting anything to come from it for a while. Once good mods start coming I'll be getting it though! I have it on Xbone atm so I'm not missing out on anything yet.

Good Start though, sorta like GTA IV's first BTTF mod.

I don't know, it seems that GTA V was being modded pretty much as soon as it became available on PC, Rockstar reckon they welcome mods though, not quite in the same way as Valve but they do welcome modders...

~John~

but GTA V was made to not be modded

this is 100% untrue, i don't know where you got this information but its wrong

this is 100% untrue, i don't know where you got this information but its wrong

That's what I thought, like I said pretty much as soon as it was available on PC people were mod mod & modding some more lol.... brilliant stuff! :D

GTA V will eventually be able to do this. There is already mod stuff being done that's cool. Plus, the map editor built into the game. It can make it easier for the map to be assembled. All the objects and houses can be built then use the in game editor for placement and cloning.

Edited by archer9234

i still have a special place in my heart for vice city though it just has the edge for me as far as the feel and music goes.

Yes... just over an hours drive, why you ask :)

Slightly late in my reply now, but there was a mob of us there over the weekend.

20151017_162720_Medium_zpsid3pre6z.thumb

20151017_162926_Medium_zpsrw1lnaxj.thumb

20151017_162902_Medium_zpsm7wvwzjh.thumb

20151017_163035_Medium_zpscerhvqdr.thumb